Tuesday, August 30, 2011


This bookcase is extremely self explanatory, but the picture could give some of you some inspiration. The two side panels are 10 cm x 1,5 cm, and the shelves are 1,5 cm x 5 cm. The books are made of cardboard on which I glued book covers I found on Google Images! You copy them into an Open Office document, you crop them to a really small size and you print them. Very easy and very cute.

Monday, August 29, 2011


This little nightstand is made out of balsa wood.   

These are the parts you're going to need: 4 sides, one slightly larger top panel and one slightly smaller panel to make the door.

This is what they look like once they've been assembled.

After that has dried, I add the legs. I let them dry up to a point where the glue becomes "bendable" upside down, and then I let it harden when the nightstand is standing upright so I'm sure it won't be wobbly.

Trendy couch

This couch was made by the same pattern and principle as the beige couches in the living room. The basic structure of it is just cardboard, and it's extremely easy to make.  

  I started by cutting out squares that would make the different parts of the couch. Each part is made up of three layers of cardboard, so each part of your couch needs to be cut out three times. You glue them together like on the picture and glue fiberfill on top of the pieces that are on the inside of the couch.   
You can choose whether or not you do this, and where, I chose to stuff all the "sitting sides" of the couch.
The next step is to wrap the different parts of the couch in whatever fabric you choose to make your couch in. You glue the parts together and you're done!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rocking chair

Hello. Since this seemed so very self explanatory, I'm just going to post enlightening pictures!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pharmacy cabinet

My grandmother likes making "theme boxes" like these, because her dollhouse is huge and pretty much finished (read: so stuffed with things there wouldn't be room for a fly in it). And since she wanted to make one of a Pharmacy, I decided to make her a box and a pharmacy cabinet. How to make the box seems too self explanatory to make a blog post out of.
The cabinet takes some time, but it's entirely doable if you work precisely.

As usual, I made the back out of foam cardboard because it's hardly visible, apart from the small space in between the shelves. But since I waxed the wood and the cardboard, you can't really tell when the shelves are filled and decorated with small bottles of medicine or whatever.
The dimensions of this back piece are 16 x 13 cm.
These are the two sides of the cabinet. They are 16 cm high and the least broad bit is 2 cm wide. Where it gets wider to make the platform they are 4 cm wide.

After assembling these parts and adding the top (14,5 x 3,5 cm) this is what it looks like. The big parts of the cabinet are made out of 2 mm balsa wood, but the top and the big platform in the middle are 4 mm thick. I really thought it looked better this way, because with glass paper I could round off the edges to give it a more 'ancient' look.
Next I made the lower front, which I gave extra molding by cutting out a rectangle 1 cm smaller on all sides, and a frame to glue around it of the same size as the panel.

 After this I added the platform. it starts in between the two side panels, and then becomes wider so as to stick out on all sides of the cabinet, the top view would be like this:

The two shelves hereunder are deceiving, because the top shelf is not to be used as a shelf but as a support for the upper front panel. I realize there is milk on almost all of my pictures, but it's because a. I drink gallons of it and b. I use those heavy boxes to hold things that need to try.

As you can see there is now only one shelf left. And then it was time for the itty bitty work, to cut out 14 pieces of 1,5 x 1,5 cm. I didn't make real drawers because it seemed impossible to do, but if you feel you're up for it, please do! The realer it gets, the more fun you have once it's finished.  

Using this terpentine wax of a rather dark color, I painted the cabinet a darker, older looking color, and finished it was! I used big pony beads for the knobs on the drawers, and just paper for the labels.