Saturday, July 2, 2011

Because.


My grandfather built this dollhouse for me when I was 12. He was a fantastic man. He fought with the resistance during the second World War and had been an engineer for the Liège mines in the sixties. He wasn't much of a talker, but once you got him to engage in a conversation, it would be a delightful couple of hours philosophizing about life.
He passed away on the 2nd of June 2011. In his own house, with the family around him and his wife, my grandmother, at his bed.  He was 89. I couldn't have wished for a better way for him to pass on.

I neglected the dollhouse during my puberty years. Partying, boys and getting wasted seemed more important. At his funeral I remember thinking to myself "I am going to turn that dollhouse into the beautiful thing it should be". And while I was working on it, I figured I might as well make a blog with tips on how to make dollhouse furniture.
Dollhouses seem to be completely forgotten about, and when they're not, they're in an overbearing Victorian style. My dollhouse is a modern house with a Sony VAIO laptop. The furniture is more or less Ikea-style and the inhabitants are never to be seen (apart from the pets). Use your imagination. They're young, caring and creative people who like a cozy house. They read geeky and intellectual magazines and watch tv. They're us. They're you.

I hope you enjoy the development of my house, even if you're not into dollhouses or you are but don't have time to really have one.

Clémence.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting your blog. Sorry you lost your grandpa, but nice background story. I look forward to reading the rest of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very nice comment to read on here, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your blog and love it! I also prefer the more individual dollhouses! Your pictures are great! Greetings from Greece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :-) Greetings from Belgium ;-)

    ReplyDelete